Milestones: The Institution, Chancellors and Presidents
- The Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning was established to develop Carleton College. The College offered only evening classes in introductory university subjects, with some courses in public administration.
- The Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning was incorporated and the Institute for Public Administration was established.
- Beginning of day classes and full-time teaching in arts, science, journalism, and first-year engineering. Establishment of the Faculty of Arts and Science.
- Move from rented premises to First Avenue campus, formerly Ottawa Ladies' College. First degrees awarded in journalism and public administration.
- The College committed itself to develop pass and four-year honours programs.
- First undergraduate pass degrees in arts, science, and commerce awarded. Formation of Senate.
- First honours degrees in arts and science awarded.
- The Carleton College Act, 1952 passed by the Ontario Legislature. This changed the corporate name to Carleton College and confirmed the power to grant degrees. Property for Rideau River campus acquired.
- Establishment of the School of Public Administration.
- Appointment of Architectural Associates for Carleton to prepare a master plan for Rideau River campus, and to design the first group of buildings. First honorary degree (LL.D.) conferred on Dag Hammarskjöld, Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- First Master of Arts degree awarded.
- The Carleton University Act, 1957. Establishment of the School of Engineering. Establishment of the Institute of Canadian Studies.
- First Master of Science degree awarded.
- Move to Rideau River campus, following construction of the Henry Marshall Tory Building (science), the Maxwell MacOdrum Library, and Norman Paterson Hall (arts).
- First Ph.D. degree in science awarded. First degrees in engineering awarded.
- Southam Hall, the University Commons, Renfrew House and Lanark House (residences) completed. Norman Paterson Hall extended, and University Union opened.
- First Master of Engineering degree awarded. Reorganization into the Faculties of Arts, Engineering, Science, and Graduate Studies and Research.
- The C.J. Mackenzie Building (engineering) completed.
- The E.W.R. Steacie Building (chemistry), Grenville House and Russell House (residences), Maintenance Building, and Heating Plant completed.
- First Ph.D. degree in engineering awarded. The Physics Building completed (designated in 1972 as the Herzberg Laboratories for Physics). Establishment of the Schools of International Affairs and Commerce.
- Loeb Building (social sciences) completed. Integration of St. Patrick's College as a division of the Faculty of Arts. Integration of the School of Social Work.
- First Ph.D. degree in arts awarded. First Master of Social Work degree awarded. Establishment of the School of Architecture.
- Controlled Environmental Facility (biology), Administration Building, Glengarry House (residence), and University Commons (residence cafeteria) completed.
- University Centre and Parking Garage completed.
- Arts Tower completed.
- Architecture Building completed. School of Social Work accommodated on the Rideau River campus.
- St. Patrick's College moves to new facility on the Rideau River campus. First degrees in architecture awarded. New athletic complex containing 50-metre pool and fitness centre opened. School of Industrial Design established.
- Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research expanded into the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. School of International Affairs renamed the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs. Master of Journalism program approved for September 1974. Master of Arts programs in anthropology and in religion approved for September 1975. Program leading to Certificate in the Teaching of English as a Second Language established.
- Lester B. Pearson Chair for International Affairs approved for January 1, 1975. Establishment of Gerhard Herzberg Lecture Series in Science.
- First Dunton Alumni Award presented, January 1976. Creation of the Paterson Centre for International Programs in March 1976. Division of the Faculty of Arts into two separate faculties: the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences, effective July 1976. First Master of Journalism degrees awarded, November 1976.
- Opening of the Criminology and Corrections concentration at St. Patrick's College, April 1977.
- School of Continuing Education established. Credit courses offered on cable television for the first time. Institute of Biochemistry established.
- St. Patrick's College ceased to operate as an academic unit of the University. Academic programs of the college continue as University programs, except for the Unified Liberal Arts Program.
- Establishment of the School of Computer Science. Establishment of the Chair of Office Automation in the Faculty of Engineering.
- Establishment of the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Graduate Studies and Research in Chemistry, a joint program with the University of Ottawa. Establishment of a joint Ph.D. program in economics with the University of Ottawa.
- Establishment of the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Geoscience Studies, representing the combined research strengths of Carleton University and the University of Ottawa, with programs leading to M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in most areas of geology. Establishment of a joint master's program in computer science with the University of Ottawa.
- Establishment of four joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa: the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Graduate Studies and Research in Biology; the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Graduate Studies and Research in Physics; the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Graduate Studies and Research in Electrical Engineering; and the Ottawa-Carleton Graduate Specialization in Neuroscience.
- Establishment of three joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa in the areas of civil engineering, mechanical and aeronautical engineering, and mathematics and statistics.
- Master of Management Studies program established in the School of Business. The School of Public Administration offers a concentration in development administration in conjunction with the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs. An additional floor on one wing of the Herzberg Laboratories for Physics is constructed to house the School of Computer Science.
- The Social Sciences Research Building, the first new building on campus in a decade, is built to accommodate the rapidly-expanding research activity in the Faculty of Social Sciences. Construction of an annex on top of the Architecture Building to provide additional space for the Faculty of Engineering.
- The Institute of Women's Studies is established. The Arts Tower is renamed Davidson Dunton Tower/<0x00C9>difice Davidson Dunton in honour of Arnold Davidson Dunton, former Carleton University President and Director of the Institute of Canadian Studies. Major revisions to the Undergraduate Exchange Agreement with the University of Ottawa extend opportunities for students to study at both universities. The University launches the Carleton University Challenge Fund, the largest fund-raising
campaign in its history.
- Canada's first full Bachelor of Engineering program in Aerospace Engineering is established. Bell-Northern Research Limited and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council provide funding for an Industrial Research Chair in Computer-Aided Engineering within the Department of Electronics. The Departments of Electronics and Systems and Computer Engineering are major partners in the Telecommunications Research Institute of Ontario (TRIO), one of seven "centres of excellence" chosen by
the provincial government for scientific research. The Faculty of Science introduces cooperative education programs in computer science and biochemistry/biotechnology.
- The University launches its first major program of construction and renovation in more than 20 years. Four capital projects are initiated: an addition to the MacOdrum Library; the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering; a 400-bed residence building; and an addition to Southam Hall. A fifth project, the Life Sciences Research Building, is completed in 1989. The Institute of Political Economy is established. The Canadian Centre for Trade Policy and Law, a joint initiative of the Norman
Paterson School of International Affairs at Carleton and the Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa, is established.
- A new Ph.D. program in computer science, offered jointly with the University of Ottawa, is established. The University introduces a Bachelor of Social Work degree program. The Paul Menton Centre for Persons with Disabilities is opened. The Centre for Research in Particle Physics is established to carry on the work of the National Research Council's large-scale physics projects.
- Establishment of the Carleton University Development Corporation. $11 million extension to the MacOdrum Library opened. The university's $30 million Challenge Fund campaign surpassed its goal; $1.5 million "enhancement" campaign announced. Registrarial services for arts and social sciences re-organized into two separate offices. Establishment of the Centre for Analytical and Environmental Chemistry. Establishment of the School of Comparative Literary Studies. Establishment of the School for
Studies in Art and Culture (bringing together the Departments of Art History, Film Studies, and Music). Establishment of the international exchange agreement between Carleton University, four Swedish universities, and three other Canadian universities (Laval, York, and the University of British Columbia). Establishment of the Carleton University/Polish faculty exchange agreement. Establishment of the Chair for Management in Technological Change. Establishment of M.A. programs in political economy,
communication, legal studies, and applied language studies. Establishment of the women's history field in the Ph.D. program in history. Establishment of the Ph.D. program in public policy in the School of Public Administration.
- The University celebrates its 50th anniversary. Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, which includes a new B.A. program in environmental studies, is established. Department of Civil Engineering renamed Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering to reflect emphasis on the environment and new undergraduate program in environmental engineering. School of Journalism renamed School of Journalism and Communication, and Institute of Canadian Studies becomes School of Canadian Studies. The
Centre for Aboriginal Education, Research and Culture is established. A new Ph.D. program in public policy, the first of its kind in Canada, is offered by the School of Public Administration, and a master's program in Canadian art history is introduced. The Carleton University Art Gallery and the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering are opened. The Governor General of Canada and Head of the Canadian Heraldic Authority, His Excellency the Right Honourable Ramon John Hnatyshyn, grants the
arms and flag of Carleton University at the fall convocation ceremonies.
- Centre for Memory Assessment and Research established. Teaching and Learning Resource Centre established. Institute of Soviet and East European Studies renamed Institute for Central/East European and Russian Area Studies. Carleton University hosts the 1993 Learned Societies Conference. Construction begins on new Inco Centre. Institute of Women's Studies renamed Pauline Jewett Institute of Women's Studies. Administration Building renamed Robertson Hall.
- New Industrial Research Chair in Performance Engineering of Real-Time Software established. The Inco Centre officially opened. Research Facility for Electron Microscopy opened. New Ph.D. program in Public Policy established. New Bachelor of International Business program approved. Colonel By Child Care opened. Construction begins on the new Carleton Technology and Training Centre.
- Carleton Technology and Training Centre opened. Bachelor of Humanities undergraduate degree program established. College of the Humanities approved.
- Two new faculties created: the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Public Affairs and Management. Department of Religion joined the College of the Humanities. School of Architecture modified its program to create a four-year degree program, with the professional designation provided by the two-year master's program. Bachelor of Arts program improved with standardization of programs across all departments and introduction of programs to allow students to improve their academic
skills and to "tailor" their degrees to specific goals. Physics undergraduate degree program replaced with an applied physics program. Several small language programs closed: German, Italian, Russian, Spanish) and undergraduate programs in Comparative Literary Studies and Classics. New undergraduate program in Communications Engineering established. Co-operative education programs offered in all engineering programs.
- The following graduate programs were established: Ph.D. in Cognitive Science; Ph.D. in Communications; Master of Arts in Film Studies; Master of Arts in Public Administration (with a Concentration in Innovation, Science, and Technology Policy); and the Graduate Certificates in Conflict Resolution and in Health and Social Policy in Development.
- Faculty of Science realigned its departments into the College of Natural Sciences and the School of Mathematics and Statistics. Centre for Initiatives in Education added to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Geography renamed the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies.
- Two new degree programs created: Bachelor of Mathematics and Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management. Two new programs added to the Bachelor of Arts degree program: Art and Culture, and Criminology and Criminal Justice.
- New programs established in Computational Chemistry, Engineering Physics and Software Engineering. Master of Science in Information and Systems Science (M.Sc.I.S.S.) program expanded.
- School of Computer Science established a computer retraining certificate program. Office to coordinate co-op placements for engineering and science students opened.
- A $6.4 million expansion to the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering is approved. The addition of three floors will provide additional teaching and research space to accommodate the significant growth in informational technology programs.
- Two new computational science programs are introduced--Computational Biology and Computational Biochemistry. Senate approves new M.Eng. and Ph.D. programs in Environmental Engineering, and the establishment of minors in Classics, German, Spanish, Italian, and Russian. Other new programs include a B.A. (Honours) in Geographic Information Processing, a Combined Honours in Human Rights, a B.A. and B.A. (Honours) in History and Theory of Architecture, and a new Ph.D. in Cultural Mediation. New
guidelines are approved for applicants from community colleges.
- The Institute of Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Culture is established within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
- The Nortel Networks-Carleton University Laboratory for Advanced Materials Research at Carleton University opens, allowing researchers to create the next wave of information technology products.
- Arthur Kroeger College of Public Affairs is opened in October. The new College, named in honour of Carleton University's Chancellor and one of Canada's leading experts in public affairs, Arthur Kroeger, is the home of the new Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (B.P.A.P.M.) program.
- The Texas Instruments and Nortel Networks DSP Lab for Advanced Communications Research and Education opens in September, making Carleton the first university in Canada to become a Texas Instruments (TI) digital signal processing (DSP) 'elite' laboratory.
- The Carleton University School of Social Work celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- The wind tunnel in the MacKenzie Building is renamed to illustrate the long-established relationship between Carleton and Pratt and Whitney Canada (PWC). The lab gives graduate students, researchers and PWC engineers the opportunity to collaborate on leading-edge turbine aerodynamics research.
- The Institute of Central/East European and Russian-Area Studies is renamed the Institute of European and Russian Studies. The B.A. (Honours) in CERAS is changed to European and Russian Studies.
- The Faculty of Science introduces a new Seminar in Science to support first-year students entering Science at Carleton. The Enriched Support Program is expanded to include the sciences. A new five-credit Sonic Design Diploma is launched to provide focused training in musical applications in the computing field. Carleton's introduces a new B.A. program in Classics, Religion, and Humanities. Computational Geophysics is added to the Computational Sciences programs. A new joint Ph.D. program in
Canadian Studies with Trent University is approved. The B.A. in Religion and the Certificate in Law Enforcement Studies are closed. A Minor in Technology, Society, and Environmental Studies is introduced.
- New University-wide regulations for academic standing, promotion, and graduation are approved.
- Construction begins on several new campus initiatives, including a new Residence, a Biology building, and a Light Rail Project.
- The three-storey addition to the Minto CASE Building is completed.
- Carleton is awarded $40 million by the provincial government for extra classroom and lab space, improved Science facilities, and enhanced research and private sector partnerships.
- The first class of Carleton Humanities students graduates at Spring Convocation.
- For the first time in Carleton's history, the average first-year high school entrance grade is more than 80 percent.
- The School of Public Administration is formally renamed the School of Public Policy and Administration.
- The Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Environmental Engineering is created to house the new Masters and Ph.D. programs in Environmental Engineering. Thesis-based Master of Applied Science degrees in Engineering are approved to distinguish them from the course-based Master of Engineering degrees in all the joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa.
- A Minor in Aboriginal Studies is introduced in Canadian Studies.
- The Master of Management Studies program is changed to the Master of Business Administration. (M.B.A.)
- The School of Computer Science becomes the first in Canada to make the Information Systems Professional (I.S.P.) designation an integral part of the Bachelor of Computer Science degree program.
- A new graduate diploma in European Integration Studies is introduced.
- Over $120 million in building projects are undertaken on campus. These include new state-of-the-art biology facilities and a six-storey residence with beds for an additional 395 students. Construction begins on centralized student services facilities, and a new classroom pavilion.
- The University becomes a major stop on Ottawa's new Light Rail system.
- The Eric Sprott School of Business is born. The School is named after Carleton alumnus Eric Sprott, Chairman of Sprott Securities Inc., who made a $10-million donation to the School this year.
- The University creates the Chancellor's Professors designation. The purpose of this new designation is to recognize individuals whose scholarly activities have been of outstanding merit.
- Carleton opens the renovated Tory Building, and the Azrieli Theatre and Pavilion. The H.H.J. Nesbitt Biology Building opens, a state-of-the-art biology facility named in honour of one of Carleton's longest-serving faculty members. Carleton's Student Academic Success Centre is created to offer improved undergraduate academic advising. The Educational Development Centre is created to promote the advancement of teaching and learning at Carleton. The National Wildlife Research Centre opens,
bringing 50 federal scientists to the Carleton campus for research and teaching.
- The University secures more than $74 million in multi-year external research grants and contracts, the highest in the University's history.
- Construction begins on a covered multi-sport field and indoor track facility, and a 400-bed residence at the corner of Library Road and Campus Avenue.
- The Banner Student Information System and the personalized student intranet 'Carleton Connect' are launched. Carleton's Maxwell MacOdrum Library launches a new integrated library management system.
- The French department introduces a new Concentration in French Language Teaching and Learning Studies. The Bachelor of International Business (Honours) program introduces new Concentrations in International Marketing and Trade, Strategic Management and International Human Resources, and International Investment, Finance and Banking. New minors are introduced in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, and Physics. The School of Public Policy and Administration develops an undergraduate Certificate
in Nunavut Public Service Studies in cooperation with the Government of Nunavut. The Master of Science in Geography is introduced.
- Carleton's amalgamated registrarial services open.
- Carleton's new covered fieldhouse opens to the Carleton community and the public; the second phase of the athletic facilities expansion begins.
- Carleton's new residence, Prescott House, welcomes new students in September.
- The School of Information Technology is created; the Bachelor of Information Technology accepts its first students. Computer Science creates a new stream in Information Systems Security. A new Certificate in French Language Teaching and Learning is created, as well as a new Minor in French Interdisciplinary Studies. A new Concentration in Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleocology is offered in the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Geology. Carleton begins to offer the Bachelor of Social Work at
Sir Sanford Fleming College. The Mention: Français is made available to Law students who complete part of their program requirements in French.
- The Canada Foundation for Innovation announces it will invest $38.9 million to create a major new international facility for underground science called SNOLAB. The project is an international collaborative effort involving Carleton University, Laurentian University, Queen's University, the University of British Columbia, the University of Guelph, and the Université de Montréal, and will link with partners from around the world. The facility will transform the already renowned Sudbury Neutrino
Observatory (SNO) experiment into a permanent, world-class research facility.
- A Web site for new students, featuring a first-year checklist, is created.
- The University secured $5.6 million in funding for ten new research labs. Two labs formally opened in the fall: the Carleton Laboratory for Laser Induced Photonic Structures (CLLIPS) and the Geomatics and Ecology Research Laboratory.
- The Bachelor of Commerce now offers two new Concentrations: Managing people and Organizations and Operations Management. The Bachelor of Computer Science offers a new Minor available to all undergraduates and two new Concentrations: Bioinformatics and Psychology. The Bachelor of Science offers two new programs in Physics: Experimental or Theory. The Master of Arts in Canadian Art History was renamed Art History: Art and its Institutions. The Aboriginal Enriched Support Program, launched as a
pilot project in 2003, becomes a full program. A new MBA program is launched in China. The Collaborative Chemical and Environmental Toxicology program was expanded to include a Ph.D. program.
- The University introduced a new Collaborative Ph.D. program with a Specialization in Political Economy, involving six academic units: Canadian Studies, Geography, History, Political Science, Public Policy and Administration, and Sociology. The first phase of the Learning Commons in the MacOdrum Library opened. The $13 million Ice House (a double-pad ice facility) was opened. The Bachelor of Science now offers a Concentration in Nanotechnology within the undergraduate Chemistry program. The
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences introduced ArtsOne, a new academic program for first-year Bachelor of Arts students. The new First Year Experience Office (FYEO) is established. The FYEO is responsible for assisting new students in making the transition to the Carleton University community.
- The Sprott School of Business was granted faculty status in May and, at the same time, the Faculty of Public Affairs and Management was renamed the Faculty of Public Affairs. The Faculty of Science was reorganized with the elimination of the College of Natural Sciences and the recreation of departments and institutes as administrative units. Ph.D. programs in English and in International Affairs are introduced. The Master's programs in Telecommunications Technology Management are re-named
Technology Innovation Management. The Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Biomedical Engineering was created as the home for a new M.A.Sc. degree. Extensive renovations to the University Centre were completed. At the 2006 Spring Convocation, Carleton graduated its 100,000th graduate.
- 1952 - 1954
- Harry Stevenson Southam
- 1954 - 1968
- Chalmers Jack Mackenzie
- 1969 - 1972
- Lester Bowles Pearson
- 1973 - 1979
- Gerhard Herzberg
- 1980 - 1990
- Gordon Robertson (Emeritus 1992 - )
- 1990 - 1992
- Pauline Jewett
- 1993 - 2002
- Arthur Kroeger (Emeritus 2002 - )
- Ramon John Hnatyshyn
- 2003 -
- Marc Garneau
- 1942 - 1947
- Henry Marshall Tory
- 1947 - 1955
- Murdoch Maxwell MacOdrum
- 1955 - 1956
- James Alexander Gibson (acting)
- 1956 - 1958
- Claude Thomas Bissell
- 1958 - 1972
- Arnold Davidson Dunton
- 1972 - 1978
- Michael Kelway Oliver
- January 1 - May 15, 1979
- James Downey (pro tempore)
- 1979 - 1989
- William Edwin Beckel
- 1989 - 1996
- Robin Hugh Farquhar
- 1996 - 2005
- Richard J. Van Loon
- 2005 - 2006
- David W. Atkinson
- 2006 -
- Samy A. Mahmoud (pro tempore)