Carleton University Canada's 
Capital University

Graduate Calendar Archives: 2007 / 2008

Student Services and General Information

Alumni Association

610 Robertson Hall
Telephone: 1-866 CUPROUD (287-7683)
Fax: 613-520-3587
Web site:

The Carleton University Alumni Association is a thriving organization of more than 90,000 graduates living in Canada and around the world. All graduates automatically become members of the association. On request, students who have completed five full credits but are no longer registered at Carleton may also become members.

The Association serves as a link between Carleton and its graduates, helping alumni stay in touch with the University and providing opportunities for social interaction, networking and volunteer service of all kinds. Graduates can get involved, network and socialize with fellow graduates at events organized in major cities across Canada, the U.S. and overseas by 12 branches, four international affiliate groups and 19 active Ottawa-based chapters.

Alumni also act as ambassadors for Carleton, promoting the University’s excellence and prestige as a distinguished institution of higher learning in Canada through contact with fellow graduates, government, the public, faculty, students and potential students.

The Department of Development and Alumni maintains alumni records to ensure a meaningful dialogue between alumni and the University. All graduates with known addresses receive various correspondences from the University including Carleton University Magazine, faculty newsletters, branch and chapter e-newsletters, event invitations, and fundraising appeals.

A great way to stay connected to Carleton is to visit our Web site at where you can join other graduates in our award-winning online community, the Carleton Café. This virtual meeting place is where you’ll network with old and new friends, post messages, access career and business opportunities, share your views on issues affecting Carleton, catch up on news and events, donate to the University or volunteer your time and talent.

Membership in the Association has its perks. Carleton graduates have access to great rates on unique products and services including free library borrowing privileges, a 50-percent discount on first time athletics memberships, and a 25 per cent discount on university apparel and gifts at the Carleton University Bookstore. Funds raised from alumni participation in affinity services help to support the University’s priority projects, such as the new Alumni Hall and Sports Centre. Visit the Carleton Café at for details about these and other exciting alumni deals.

Alumni may opt out of affinity mailings by informing the Department of Development and Alumni by email at or by phone at 1-866-CU-PROUD (287-7683).

Executive Council of the Carleton University Alumni Association

Gerard Buss, BA/73

Jennifer Ingham, BA/89, BAHons/92
Past President

Jane Gilbert, B.J./80
Vice-President, Chapters

Micheline McKay, B.A./83
Vice-President, Branches

James Hale, B.A./77
Chair, Editorial Advisory Committee

Ruth Lifeso, B.Sc./63
Senate Representative

Donna Lindell, BJ/90
President, Toronto Branch

Erika Mayer, B.Arch./99 B.A./00
Athletics Board Representative

Jay Nordenstrom, BA/02
President, Ottawa Branch

Athletics and Recreation

Telephone: 613-520-4480
Web site:

The mission of the Department of Recreation and Athletics is to provide a broad spectrum of sport, fitness and recreational opportunities for our students and the Carleton University community.

A balance of programs is offered for all skill and competitive levels, including freelance recreation, instructional programs, intramural sports, and inter-university athletics.

The athletic facilities include a 4,500 square metre fieldhouse with two artificial turf fields and a 220-metre jogging track; an L-shaped fifty-metre pool with diving tower; a Fitness Centre with weight-training equipment and cardiovascular machines; six International squash courts; a double gymnasium; combatives and multipurpose rooms. In addition, the recently opened Alumni Hall and Sports Centre houses a triple gymnasium with ­seating for up to 2,000, and a 465-square metre cardio room and fitness studio. The Ice House, a new two-pad rink facility, is open for skating and other recreational and competitive ice activities. Outdoor facilities include Keith Harris Stadium, two other ­playing fields and five tennis courts. A four-court indoor tennis bubble operates in the winter months. These facilities may be available to students for recreational needs or for organized competitions.

Instructional classes include group fitness programs such as aerobics, indoor cycling, Pilates, weight-training, step aerobics, ­personal training services, fitness appraisals, aquatics programs such as learn-to-swim, aquafit, and masters’ swim; dance, martial arts, yoga, and Tai Chi.

For further information on varsity athletics, competitive club teams, and intramurals, contact the Athletics Department or visit our Web site at

Full-time graduate students are eligible for inter-university athletics, subject to league regulations. An Athletics Board advises the Department and the University on matters of athletics and recreation policy through the Office of the President. The Board is composed of members from Faculty, Administration, Alumni, the Students’ Associations and the Residence Association.


Telephone: 613-520-3832
Web site:

Carleton’s bookstore sells texts, computer products, supplies, books, CDs and magazines, gift items, clothing, and used books and is centrally located on the ground floor of the University Centre.

The following hours are subject to change:
Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 11:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.

Career Development and Co-operative Education

Student Centre
401 Tory Building
Tel.: 613-520-6611
Fax: 613-520-5695
Web site:

Employer Centre
1400 Carleton Technology and Training Centre
Tel.: 613-520-4331
Fax: 613-520-2345
Web site:

The Career Development and Co-operative Education Office (CDCE) is the on-campus centre for career development, employment preparation, and experiential learning opportunities for all Carleton students and recent alumni.

Services provided by this office include:

Job Postings
PlacePro is a free web-based job search tool available exclusively to Carleton students that houses part-time, full-time, volunteer, internship and summer job opportunities.

Career Counseling and Employment Advising
Career and employment-related workshops are offered free of charge to provide students the tools necessary for their career exploration. Career counsellors work with students to help them plan their next steps after graduate school. Assessment tools give students knowledge about their personality, strengths, and interests as they pertain to the world of work. Employment workshops such as Résumé and Cover Letter Writing, Job Search, Networking, and Interview Skills are offered several times each term. CDCE also offers a workshops targeted to prospective and current graduate students, including topics such as how to prepare for graduate school; how to write a personal statement for graduate school; and CV writing for graduate students. Through the Career Connection program, students can contact Carleton alumni to obtain information about jobs and careers of interest.

Employment Information Events
Career Development and Co-operative Education organizes career and employment information events to help students and recent graduates gather information on career possibilities. These events include on-campus visits from industry and government employers and organizations to discuss career opportunities, employer panel discussions and career fairs.

Resource Centre
A resource centre is available for students to research educational, employment, and career planning interests. Resources include: C.V. writing, academic job search and interview preparation material, newspapers, business periodicals, occupational and labour market trends, work and study abroad resources and salary information. Computers are ­available in the Resource Centre for students to access job postings and research potential ­employers.

Services for Recent Graduates
All programs and services offered by Career Development and Co-operative Education are available for recent graduates up to one full term upon completion of their degree. Our career and employment workshops will help recent grads make the successful transition from school to the world of work.

Co-operative Education
Co-operative education allows students to gain practical job experience, build a network of employer and industry contacts, and develop valuable skills on paid work terms related to their field of study. In order to participate in co-operative education, students must meet the admissions and participation requirements.

Carleton International

Director: Mary Jo Lynch
510 Tory Building
Telephone: 613-520-2511
Fax: 613-520-2521
Web site:

Carleton International co-ordinates the University’s efforts in international activities. Carleton has many formal academic linkages with institutions in other countries which Carleton International administers on behalf of the University. Some of these agreements allow graduate students registered at Carleton to participate in collaborative research projects with other universities or to spend a term or a year abroad on academic exchange. Application forms for student exchange may be found on the International Student Services (ISSO) website at, which administers the student exchange portions of these agreements.

Carleton International is also responsible for the negotiation, management and administration of international grants and contracts, liaison with the international and diplomatic community and for the reception of foreign visitors and delegations to the University.

Carleton University Students Association (CUSA)

University Centre 401
Telephone: 613-520-6688
Fax: 613-520-3704
Web site:

The Carleton University Students' Association (CUSA) is an incorporated, student-run organization that promotes the interests of the student body. All registered full or part-time undergraduate students are members of CUSA.

CUSA represents the students' interests to all levels of government and administration. It is also the founding member of the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) and CFS-Ontario. These two organizations are committed to bringing about necessary educational, administrative and/or legislative changes in those areas affecting students.

Student services funded wholly or in part or operated by CUSA include: Carleton Disability Awareness Centre; Carleton Foot Patrol; Carleton Food Centre; the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Centre; International Students' Centre; Bill Ellis Centre for Mature and Part-time Students; Womyn's Centre; Race, Ethnicity and Culture Hall, and over 150 clubs and societies.

CUSA business ventures include: Oliver's Pub; Rooster's Coffeehouse; Unicentre Store; and a Canada Post outlet.

The legislative body of CUSA is a 34-member Students' Council made up of representatives from each faculty and six executive members who are elected annually by the student population. Elections take place in February. The term of office is twelve months commencing the following May.

CUSA also sponsors more than 150 clubs and societies, alternate education programs, speaker series, and concerts.

The Students' Association continually works to improve and expand its scope of activities. Students are encouraged to communicate ideas and opinions to members of their elected representatives in CUSA, to participate and become involved in the activities of the Association, and to exercise their voting privileges.

For more information please contact or visit the CUSA Web site.

The Chaplaincy

Ecumenical Chaplaincy
T-21 Tory Tunnel, Rev. Dr. Tom Sherwood
T-20 Tory Tunnel, Chaplaincy Centre Lounge
T-19, Tory Tunnel, the Quiet Room
Telephone: 613-520-4449
Chaplain, Rev. Dr. Tom Sherwood

Roman Catholic Chaplaincy
T-4, Tory Tunnel
Telephone: 613-520-2896
Chaplain, Fr. David Shulist, s.j.

Since 1965 a chaplaincy service has existed at Carleton. Part of its function is to share experiences, insights, friendships and faith. We are also involved in study and discussion groups, community projects, development education, marriage preparation and religious services. In addition, we have connections with many organizations and resources on campus and with churches and off-campus religious groups in the Ottawa area.

The two principal chaplains (Ecumenical and Roman Catholic) are supported by a number of people in the Chaplaincy offices, which are open most days. Appointments are not necessary but at times they are advisable. People are encouraged to visit the offices at any time.

A Quiet Room, used for individual meditation, prayer, study groups and worship services, is open all day, five days a week. For bookings or other information, inquire at the Ecumenical Chaplaincy Centre or speak to the Ecumenical Chaplain. For information about special services, program activities, guest speakers and other events, speak to the Ecumenical Chaplain and/or the Roman Catholic Chaplain.

Colonel By Child Care Centre

Located by the Athletics Complex
Telephone: 613-520-2715
Fax: 613-520-3992
Web site:

Colonel By Child Care Centre, a non-profit parent cooperative located on the University campus, has been providing quality child care to children and their families for over twenty-five years. Our skilled teaching staff provides care and education for 57 children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years, year-round, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. The Centre is governed by the parents of enrolled children; cooperative partnerships between parents and staff enrich our programs and promote quality child care. Enrolment priority is given to the students, staff and faculty of the University and the Centre offers subsidized spaces to families who qualify.

Computing and Communications Services

401 Robertson Hall
Telephone: 613-520-3700
Web site:

A wide range of computer services is available to students. Several public computer labs provide access to over 80 different applications software packages, including the Microsoft and Corel Office Suites. Comprehensive data analysis packages such as SAS, SPSS, and Maple are available for general research applications. All students are eligible for a Student Computing Account that provides access to email, calendar, course message boards, WebCT, and the Internet. Laser printing facilities services are available at public student labs on campus. Wireless computing is available at several locations. The CCS Service Desk provides assistance to students during regular business hours and evenings and weekends during the school term. A list of student services is available at: Complete information about computing on campus is available at:

Copyright Compliance

Carleton University is committed to compliance in all copyright matters. Noncompliance is a violation of the Canadian Copyright Act. In addition to any actions that might be taken by any copyright owner or its licensing agent, the University will take steps against any breach of this policy. See for guidelines on copyright compliance.

Equity Services

Tory Building, Suite 421
Telephone: 613-520-5622
Aboriginal Lounge: Room T27 (Tunnel level of Tory)
Web site:

Equity Services ensures that all members of the University community (teaching assistants, instructors, faculty, students and staff) study, work and live in a respectful environment at Carleton University. Our mandate derives from Carleton’s Human Rights Policy and Procedures, which can be reviewed at

Equity Advisors promote equity and the accommodation of diversity through proactive education, outreach and services. Their work includes managing complaints of harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, place of origin, etc. Advisors provide impartial and confidential information and advice, and assist in the informal or formal resolution of complaints about human rights violations which may include but are not limited to inappropriate emails, stalking, and offensive comments or conduct.

The Centre for Aboriginal Culture and Education (CACE) is part of Equity Services. The mandate of CACE is to promote the recruitment, presence and retention of Aboriginal students, faculty and staff on campus. The Centre provides one-on-one support for Aboriginal students, hosts cultural activities and events, and provides opportunities for Aboriginal elders to be active on campus. CACE maintains the Aboriginal Lounge as a gathering place where Aboriginal people and those interested in Aboriginal issues are welcome.

Equity Services is responsible for the research, co-ordination and maintenance of the University’s legislative obligations under the Federal Contractors Program. This program’s primary goal is the achievement of equal opportunity for women, Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities in all aspects of employment.


Tuition Fees and Charges 2007-08
Tuition fees, late charges, and other fees and charges are reviewed in the spring of each year. At the time of printing, tuition fees and charges for 2007-08 were not yet determined. Students are advised to familiarize themselves with specific details regarding fees and charges, which will be published on Carleton's Web site by May 1 at

Dates Relating to Fees and Charges
Dates relating to tuition fee payments, refund deadlines, late charges, and other fees or charges can be accessed at

Food Services

Telephone: 613-520-5612
Web site:

À-la-carte food service is available in seven locations across campus:

The Food Court, second level of the University Centre, offering Extreme Pita, Miso (new Asian concept), A&W, World’s Fare, Expresso’s, Freshens Smoothies and Il Forno Tuscano; Tim Horton’s, first level, University Centre; Tim Horton’s and Baker’s Grille, fourth level, University Centre; The Loeb Cafe, first level, Loeb Building; The Junction, Library precinct, Tunnel level; The Oasis Cafeteria, first level, Residence Commons; The Bent Coin, fifth level, Robertson Hall, The Page Break in the MacOdrum Library.

In addition, “all-you-care-to-eat” lunch and dinner is available in the Residence Dining Halls, third level Residence Commons for the price of admission. Students with Campus Cash plans are entitled to reduced prices and tax exemption where permitted.

Vending machines provide off-hour service. Students with Campus Cash plans can make cash purchases without using cash from many of these machines.

A variety of “Campus Cash” plans are available to students offering savings on campus food purchases through both discounts and tax exemptions.

“Care Packages” provide an easy means for friends and families to send birthday cakes, exam study snacks, or celebrate other special occasions with a food treat.

The catering division of food services is equipped to provide banquet services, receptions, party trays or beverage service for groups of up to 800 guests.

Graduate Students' Association

University Centre 600
Telephone: 613-520-6616
Fax: 613-520-3680
Web site:

The Graduate Students' Association (GSA) represents the collective interests and promotes the general welfare of the graduate students of Carleton University. The Association promotes and maintains communications between the graduate students and the University administration and represents graduate students within the University. The GSA can aid individual graduate students with specific problems related to the University community. The Association also acts to stimulate social, intellectual and political contact among graduate students.

The GSA Council is comprised of annually elected student representatives from each department, a four-member Executive (Internal Directors) and two External Directors. The Council meets on a monthly basis. For more information on becoming a GSA Councilor, contact the GSA office.

The Association owns and operates two separate lounges: Mike's Place 613-520-6681, a pub on the second level of the Unicentre; and the Gekko Grotto (ext. 8783), a coffee and computer lounge on the sixth level of the Unicentre. For full information on GSA services, please refer to the Graduate Student Handbook: Manual and Daily Planner, available from the GSA, your department, or Graduate Studies.

Health and Counselling Services

Suite 2600 Carleton Technology and Training Centre
Telephone: 613-520-6674
Fax: 613-520-4059
Web site:

Health and Counselling Services is your wellness centre at Carleton University. The centre offers a wide range of services, including treatment of illness, onsite lab facilities, immunizations, allergy injections, contraceptive information, a health education program, and much more. Our counselling services has professional counsellors and psychiatrists to help with personal and emotional difficulties. All health records are confidential and will not be released to anyone without client written consent.

Our hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Summer) and 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Academic year). Appointments are encouraged and may be made in person or by calling 613-520-6674. If you feel you need medical attention before an available appointment, you may drop in and see a member of our health care team who will make an initial assessment and direct further care as needed.

For health care in the evenings and on weekends, call Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000 or contact a walk-in clinic near you.

Counsellors are available to see students on a self-referral basis. Along with regular counselling appointments, our counselling staff offers “drop-in” times daily, for students needing short but immediate contact with a counsellor. The counselling staff provide both individual and group support to help students deal more effectively with emotional and social concerns. For students living in residence, counselling can also be accessed through our site office in 223 Res Commons. For international students an International Student Counsellor is available to provide group and individual counselling.

A Health Education Program, promoting healthy lifestyles and wellness, offers resources in a centre adjacent to the waiting room. It is staffed by student peer educators who provide information on such topics as nutrition, alcohol and drugs, sexuality, stress management and smoking cessation. For more information, call the Health Educator at 613-520-6676.

Health Insurance

1. Ontario Students

Carry your health insurance number with you at all times. If you do not have one, application for coverage must be made directly with the Ministry of Health at 75 Albert Street in Ottawa.

2. Students from Another Province

If you are from outside of Ontario, your provincial health insurance will cover you health care. Check that your health insurance is active and carry your number with you at all times. In some provinces you will need to advise the Ministry of Health that you will be out of the province.

3. Students from Outside Canada

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for all international students upon registration. Further information regarding UHIP may be obtained from the foreign student advisor, the International Student Centre or Carleton International. If you do not have any health insurance, you may be billed for services rendered. The University may withhold the marks of students with outstanding accounts.

Immunization Record
It is recommended that new students:

  1. Check with your family physician to ensure adequate immunization. An updated tuberculin skin test is recommended.
  2. Obtain documentation of vaccination to red measles, German measles, mumps, polio and tetanus from your family physician. A booster dose of measles/mumps/rubella vaccine is recommended if you have not been re-immunized since infancy.
  3. Discuss Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccines with your family physician.

Housing and Conference Services

261 Stormont House

Telephone: 613-520-5612
Fax: 613-520-3952
Web site:

Carleton’s campus residences accommodate 2,600 students in two types of living environments. The traditional residence buildings offer accommodation to undergraduate students in single and shared (double) study bedrooms. Bathrooms are also shared. As the traditional residence makes no provision to permit the preparation of meals, all students assigned to this accommodation must participate in one of the available four Residence meal plans.

Two of our residences offer accommodation in which students can prepare meals for themselves. Prescott House is comprised of four-person single -gender suites (either two doubles or four singles clustered around a common area) with shared bathroom and meal preparation area. Students in Prescott are required to participate in a meal plan and options include those offered in traditional residence and a fifth plan, available only to those living in suites residence. Leeds House is reserved for graduate and undergraduate students. All rooms are singles, located in mainly four-person suites for undergraduates and on the 5th and 6th floors, in two-person suites for graduates. The meal preparation areas in Leeds include fridge and stovetop elements. Meal plans for Leeds residents are optional.

All residence bedrooms are furnished with bed and mattress, desk and chair, study lamp, closet and drawer space. Residence fees include a personal phone with local service, Internet connection, and membership in the Graduate Residence Council (graduate students) or Rideau River Residence Association (undergraduate students).

Current offerings of Residence food services meal plans range from 5 to 19 meals per week and most include Campus Cash” dollars which maybe used in retail Food Services outlets across the campus. Consult for the most up-to-date description of available plans and rates. The newly renovated Commons Dining facilty is opened from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 10:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekends. Students can chose from a wide selection of food on an “all-you-care-to-eat” basis. Please note that although a varied menu is available at all meals, the Residence Dining Halls may not be able to meet all the needs of special diets required for medical, religious or other reasons.

Please note that there are no facilities on campus for married students. Graduate students new to Carleton who live outside the Ottawa area will receive an application for residence with their offer of admission. All other graduate students wishing to apply to live in residence should make inquiries to The Department of Housing and Conference Services.

Off-Campus Housing
Telephone: 613-520-5614

The Off-Campus Housing Service is designed to provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation to students who cannot be accommodated on campus or who are interested in off-campus housing. This service mainly operates on a self-help basis, with listings of accommodation posted outside 261 Stormont House for viewing 24 hours per day. You can also view the listings on our website at during normal office hours; staff members are pleased to assist.

Details regarding each listing include rates and amenities provided. The University does not undertake to inspect or approve any of the facilities listed, so it is strongly advised that the search be undertaken in person. A section titled “Faculty and Staff Listing” is published on the Web site, listing accommodations of staff members going on sabbatical leave for periods ranging from four months to two years. In addition to the available rental accommodations, a ‘looking for’ section is also posted.

Tour and Conference Centre
Telephone: 613-520-5611
Fax: 613-520-3952

Each year from May to August, the Housing and Conferences Services Department operates a Tour and Conference Centre. Residence facilities accommodate up to 2600 guests. Services available to conferences and tour groups at very reasonable rates include accommodation, catering, meeting rooms, lecture theatres. Accommodation is available to short-term summer visitors, from the single traveler staying one night to students and their families who wish to attend or participate in such University functions as Convocation and first-year student Welcome programs. Long-term summer residence (30 days or more), including graduate residence, is also offered on a limited basis.

Arrangements for special functions such as wedding receptions, banquets, parties (large and small) and meetings or other special events are also co-ordinated by the Tour and Conference Centre. Such events may be booked throughout the year.

International Student Services Office (ISSO)

501 University Centre
Telephone: 613-520-6600
Fax: 613-520-3995
Web site:

The International Student Services Office (ISSO) is dedicated to internationalization by delivering services for registered ­international and exchange (incoming/outgoing) students. We support student success and contribute to positive international experiences by hosting orientation and welcome programs, administering health insurance, providing individual advising or counselling, supporting immigration application procedures and in developing complementary academic support programs. Global citizenship is at the heart of our student experience: celebrating international understanding and awareness is embraced through the Exchange Student Program offered in 29 countries with 84 partner ­universities. International engagement can begin right at home. The ISSO collaborates with the Carleton community to host cultural, social or special events for intercultural dialogue.

Inventions, Technology Transfer, Intellectual Property and the Graduate Student

Technology and Research Development Office
Room 511B, Tory Building
Telephone: 613-520-2600 ext. 8359
Fax: 613-520-2521
Web site:

In the course of their research activities, graduate students at Carleton University sometimes make discoveries that have commercial potential. There is a process that enables inventors at Carleton University to seek protection for their ideas and to enter partnerships to seek commercial possibilities. As soon as preliminary research results exist or when outsiders have expressed interest in your research area or technology, graduate students should contact the Technology and Research Development Office. This office identifies, evaluates, and, in some cases, protects the inventions and technologies developed on campus. If you have any questions regarding intellectual property, patents, confidentiality agreements, etc. please contact the Technology and Research Development Office or visit their Web page.


MacOdrum Library
Telephone: 613-520-5621 (Hours recording)
613-520-2735 (Research Help)
Fax: 613-520-2750
Web site:

Senior Staff

University Librarian
Margaret Haines

Associate Librarians
Leslie Firth
Linda Rossman

The MacOdrum Library
The MacOdrum Library, named in honour of Carleton’s second President, Murdoch Maxwell MacOdrum, provides access to a wide variety of materials in support of teaching, learning, and research at Carleton University. The collection contains more than three million books, journals, government documents, maps, newspapers, music scores, microforms, tapes, CDs and archival and rare materials. The Library subscribes to over 36,000 electronic journals and 132,549 ebooks. Individual and group study space is available. The building is open Monday through Sunday—over 100 hours a week. The Page Break coffee shop is located on the main floor.

Access to Resources
Access to the collection is through the Library Web site and on-line catalogue. To encourage laptop use, the whole library is wireless, but dedicated computer workstations can be found on most floors. Remote access to electronic resources is also facilitated tthrough the Library Web site.

Assistance in Using the Library
Reference staff are available seven days a week, at two locations on the Main floor: the Learning Commons Desk and MADGIC (Maps, Data and Government Information Centre). Assistance in the use of the collection and other resources is provided. Library instruction and subject-related seminars are arranged on request throughout the year. Appointments can be made with Subject Specialists for more in-depth consultation.

The Learning Commons
The Learning Commons is a dynamic, user-centred learning facility enhanced by information technology. It is the place where the Library, IT, and Learning Support Services come together under one roof to enhance the learning experience for students. Services include a central information desk, over 160 computer workstations, a laptop loan program, 5 group study rooms, a Graduate Study lounge, casual study spaces for group work and a technologically-equipped presentation room.

Services for Students with Disabilities
The Library is barrier-free. The Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre, which is available to students who are referred by the Paul Menton Centre, is furnished with specialized equipment, adjustable workstations, and study carrels. Services offered include research assistance and retrieval of library materials from the stacks.

Photocopy Services
Photocopy machines are located throughout the Library. Equipment is available for reading, printing and scanning microform materials. Special requests may be submitted in the Photocopy Centre for colour copies, enlargements, and print copies of old exams. Payment is by campus card or by cash at the counter.

Specialized Collections
The CBC Newsworld Collection is an archival and research collection of videotaped broadcasts that have been aired since 1991. The Course Reserves Collection at the Circulation Desk contains heavy-demand books, professors’ copies, and articles that are required readings. Electronic reserves are also offered for selected courses. Special Collections and Archives is a repository for rare books, manuscripts, and valuable and specialized research materials, such as the Batchinsky Collection and Canadian and American small press poetry.

MADGIC: Maps, Data and Government Information Centre
The Government Documents Collection contains official publications from all levels of government and international organizations in print, microform, and digital formats. The Map collection consists of topographic and thematic sheet maps, air photos, digital orthophotographs, and geospatial data files for use with GIS and drawing software. The Data Centre collects microdata and public opinion surveys, including those from Statistics Canada, Gallup, POLLARA and Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research.

Borrower Information
Books may be borrowed at the Circulation Desk or by using two self-serve machines located on the Main floor. Items, with the exception of reserve materials, circulate for two weeks (undergraduates) or four weeks (fourth year Honours and graduate students, faculty, and staff). Examination grades and transcripts will be withheld from students who owe library fines. Items not available in the Library may be borrowed from other libraries through the Interlibrary Loans Department, or from commercial journal-article delivery services. Reciprocal library agreements also allow Carleton students access and borrowing privileges at most university libraries in Canada. Students (graduate and Honours) in science and engineering and selected programs have been granted special onsite privileges at CISTI, the premiere science collection in Canada. To use this service, students must have their campus card validated at the Circulation Desk. The Capital Sm@rtLibrary borrowing agreement allows students who live outside the Ottawa-Carleton Region to become members of the Ottawa Public Library at no cost.

Ombuds Services

511 University Centre
Telephone: 613-520-6617
Jim Kennelly, University Ombudsperson
Web site:

Ombuds Services deals with a variety of grievances and complaints and with requests for information. A few examples of the on-campus and off-campus problems include academic appeals, graduation appeals, fee disputes and tenant issues. Financing of this service is provided equally by the University and the Students' Association (CUSA).

Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities

500 University Centre
Telephone: 613-520-6608
TDD: 613-520-3937
Fax: 613-520-3995
Web site:

Larry McCloskey

Nancy McIntyre
Learning Specialist/Coordinator, Learning Disabilities

Somei Tam
Learning Specialist/Disability Adviser

Khadija Uddin (on leave until Jan. 2007)
Disabilities Counsellor

Julie Ouellette (until Jan. 2007)
Disabilities Counsellor

Laura Brawn
Learning Strategist

Boris Vukovic/Jason Goveas
Assistive Learning Technologist

Matthew Cole
Manager, Attendant Services

Academic Accommodation
Carleton University has an Academic Accommodation Policy for Students with Disabilities. This policy promotes the accommodating of students with disabilities so that they will have the opportunity to meet learning objectives and be equitably evaluated in their performance. The University is strongly committed to providing access and accommodation for all individuals with appropriately documented disabilities. In no case should academic accommodation compromise the academic standards and learning objectives of any course or program at the University. Publications A series of brochures and flyers on resources and services available to students with disabilities at Carleton University may be obtained from the Paul Menton Centre free of charge. Information is also available online from

Of particular interest to teaching assistants, the PMC also has a guide online with Information to Assist Faculty in Accommodating Students with Disabilities ( that provides useful information for accommodating students with disabilities in the classroom.

Requests for Service
The Paul Menton Centre provides individualized support services, based on appropriate documentation, to people who are deaf or hard of hearing, with learning disabilities, attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), visual impairments, head injuries, physical disabilities including mobility impairments, or who have psychiatric or other medical disabilities. Students are responsible for applying for academic accommodations and support services by making an appointment with the appropriate PMC Coordinator. All requests are assessed on an individual basis. Students are advised to come to the PMC early in the term to discuss their accommodation needs.

Examination Accommodations
Examination accommodations for all tests and examinations (in-class, CUTV, or formally scheduled) are available for students with disabilities, however they must be arranged by specific deadline dates. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre or visit our Website for a current list of deadlines. Accommodation requests not made prior to the specified deadlines may not be fulfilled.

Learning Strategy and Assistive Technology (LS/AT) Supports: 512 Unicentre Building
LS/AT Supports include a Learning Strategist, an Assistive Learning Technologist, and the LS/AT Computer Lab. With an emphasis on developing a solid understanding of how their disability impacts on academic performance, the Learning Strategist meets students individually to address areas such as:

  • Self-Advocacy
  • Organization and time management
  • Study skills
  • Compensatory strategies, including the use of Assistive Technology

The Assistive Learning Technologist provides direct technology support for students with disabilities. Examples of services include:

  • Assistance finding AT vendors and with basic technological support for AT purchases
  • Short-term equipment loans to evaluate the usefulness of devices such as Palm Pilots, Dana keyboards, laptop computers, and digital recorders

LS/AT Computer Lab
The LS/AT Computer Lab is equipped with Assistive Technology software including Dragon Naturally Speaking, Inspiration, Read and Write Gold, and Kurzweil 3000, as well as standard word processing and Internet programs. A scanning station equipped with a professional version of Kurzweil 3000 is available on a sign-in basis.

The LS/AT Computer Lab is supported by the Assistive Learning Technologist between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm and during the evening, by lab assistants. See your PMC coordinator for more information about eligibility for LS/AT Support.

Library Services for Students with Disabilities
Students referred by the Paul Menton Centre have access to the Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre, located on the main floor of the MacOdrum Library, Room 232. The office of Heather Cross, Coordinator of Library Services for Students with Disabilities, is located in Room 206 of Reference Services (613-520-2600, extension 8186). Students are advised to contact Heather for a complete list of services available in the Library including use of the Centre, research assistance, stacks retrieval, assistance with photocopying, and assistance with reserve materials. Services at the University of Ottawa for students with disabilities are also available to Carleton ­students. Students must obtain a letter of referral from Heather Cross for each academic year to have access to services at the University of Ottawa.

The Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre has six workstations on which students have access to various software applications (word processing and spreadsheets), SS-Labs, Library Catalogue System, Connect Accounts, Internet Access, the Campus Network, large screen monitors, adjustable-height computer tables, a voice recognition system, screen magnification, screen reading and a scanner.

The Library’s contact for alternate format service is Margaret McLeod from the department of Reference Services (613-520-2600, ext. 8943). Margaret works with the Paul Menton Centre, faculty members, the W. Ross MacDonald School and other alternate format providers to ensure students have access to reading material in the format of their choice. It is essential for students who require this service to contact Margaret as early as possible, before the beginning of the academic term. Students may scan printed material using the Kurzweil 3000, a software program that converts printed material into an electronic text format that could read by a voice synthesizer. This software is housed in the Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre.

Assistive Technical Devices
A limited number of note-taking keyboards, two and four-track tape recorders, personal FM systems and MP3 players are available for loan from the Paul Menton Centre.

Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
It is the student’s responsibility to initiate early inquiries for academic accommodation. If specialized equipment or services such as personal FM systems or sign language interpreters are required, please contact the Paul Menton Centre at least one month prior to the start of classes.

Students with Learning Disabilities
Students with learning disabilities are required to submit a recent psycho-educational assessment, administered after the age of 16 or within three years of initial registration at the Paul Menton Centre. This will allow Paul Menton Centre staff to organize services that address each individual’s particular learning disability and support needs. The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities has provided funding for two positions: Learning Strategist and Assistive Learning Technologist to provide enhanced services to students with learning disabilities. The Ministry also funds the Paul Mention Centre to conduct transition programs for students with learning disabilities who are graduating from high school and continuing directly to post-secondary education. Carleton University is in a partnership program with Algonquin College to help students to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed in a post-secondary environment. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre for more information.

Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
To receive accommodation, students with ADHD are required to have a formal diagnosis from a psychiatrist, psychologist or physician. For further information and documentation requirements contact the Paul Menton Centre.

Students with Mobility Impairments
The campus of Carleton University is well equipped for accommodating persons with physical disabilities. The buildings are in close proximity to each other and most of them are connected by a common tunnel system. All of the main buildings have elevators and are ramped for outside entrance and egress. Most sidewalks have been made accessible by curb-cut renovations. A building-by-building accessibility inventory is available from the PMC or on the Web site.

Students with Non-Visible Disabilities
Students with non-visible disabilities may have legitimate needs that are not easily recognized or understood within the university community. Students with psychiatric or medical disabilities may wish to contact the Paul Menton Centre to discuss issues of concern to them. Appropriate and recent documentation is required.

Attendant Services Program in Residence for Students with Disabilities
The Attendant Services Program in Residence offers 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living such as personal care, room chores, and cafeteria assistance. The program is available to students with various levels of disability and attempts to respond to individuals according to their specific needs. In order to provide comprehensive services only a limited number of program spaces are available each year. A guide describing the program in detail is available free of charge by contacting Attendant Services Co-ordinator Matthew Cole at 613-520-6615. For students who need an accessible room in residence but do not require attendant services, a limited number of rooms are available based on the following criteria: the need for special accommodation, level of disability, whether the applicant has housing alternatives in the area, and the date of application. For further information contact the Accommodations Officer in the Department of Housing and Food Services at 613-520-5612.

Student Participation in Academic Affairs

Students may become involved in academic issues on campus in several ways.

Students may join the New University Government (NUG). NUG is an organization which gives students direct input into academic decisions by filling the student representative positions at departmental meetings. Students then have direct input into curriculum committees and hiring boards, and routine departmental issues. Each department has at least one graduate NUG representative. Departmental NUG representatives also sit on their (specific/respective) Faculty Boards. Each faculty is entitled to send two representatives to the Graduate Faculty Board, and two of these student representatives are elected to the University Senate where most of the general academic decisions are made.

Several Senate policy committees have graduate student representation. These include the Library, Computer, Admission and Studies, University Government, and the Academic Planning committees. There are other Senate committees, but to date they do not have spaces reserved specifically for graduate students.

The Graduate Students Association (GSA) council provides a forum in which representatives from every department meet not only to discuss academic issues, but to formulate GSA policies on academic matters that may be presented to Senate or other University committees.

To obtain more information on any of these, please call the GSA at 613-520-6616, or drop by the office, 600 Unicentre.

Study Abroad on Academic Exchange

Carleton has many formal academic linkages with institutions in other countries. Carleton International administers these on behalf of the University. Graduate students have the opportunity to spend a term or a year abroad in partner institutions in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Tanzania, or U.S.A. and take courses accredited towards their Carleton degree. For more information about deadlines and applying, consult with the International Student Services Office at or call 613-520-6600.

University Centre

The University Centre, commonly known as the Unicentre, is a focal point for student life at Carleton. The student-run CKCU-FM radio station, the student newspaper The Charlatan, Information Carleton, Student Life Services, Career Services, and a variety of student clubs and organizations including the Carleton University Students’ Association are located here. In addition, there are pubs, a food court, coffee shops, banking machines, a copy centre, and a variety store that includes a postal outlet. The Paul Menton Centre for Persons with Disabilities, located in Room 500, provides support services to students with learning, physical, psychiatric, and medical disabilities.

Writing Tutorial Service

Academic Writing Centre
229 Paterson Hall
Web site:

The Writing Tutorial Service offers individual and small group tutorials to students who want advice on the writing of university essays. Tutors provide practical instruction on all aspects of the writing process from the initial research and data gathering, to the exploration and organization of ideas, through to the final preparation of the manuscript. The service regularly presents in-class workshops on writing for particular disciplines, courses, and assignments at the request of faculty and/or teaching assistants. The service is offered free of charge to all Carleton students. For an appointment or information, call 613-520-6632 or visit 215 Paterson Hall from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

© 2023 Carleton University 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6 Canada | (613) 520-7400 Contact | Privacy Policy